Saturday, September 12, 2009

What message are we sending?

This is something I posted on the CBS forums for the "reality" show, Big Brother. Yes, I know it's trash, but I can't help myself. Granted, after this season, I really don't know if I can ever watch it again. So, take a look for yourself at what I had to say. The comments I received were "a mixed bag", but that's to be expected.


What Message Are We Sending???

First off I want to be upfront & say that I have supported Jeff & Jordan from the beginning. I realize this is a game I watch for entertainment purposes, as well as to 'study' sociology & psychology, and know that I have no stake in the outcome. No matter who wins or loses my life will be the same after the game as it was before. I have always felt that way about this game since Season 1. I have never really paid much attention to the message boards, if at all, although I have subscribed to the live feeds in years past & watched BBAD. This season, due to illness, has been completely different.

I still don't care, for the most part, who wins, because it won't change my life, but I am concerned about the bigger picture. I'm worried about the message this season's lack of enforcing the rules, allowance of shear & utter direspect, verbal attacks & numerous other behaviors that I've never seen on this show has sent to the viewers... specifically the youth of our country/world. As it is, there's a huge mentality among the youth of America that believes, "as long as I don't get caught, it's not wrong," instead of having boundaries, a conscience & morals that tell them something is wrong, instead of it being wrong regardless of whether you get caught, or not. I used to watch this show with my 15 y/o God daughter, and was a bit "upset" that she chose not to watch it this year so she could hang out with her friends. Darn those, teenagers!!! But, to be honest, I am glad she decided I was no longer as cool as her friends, because I would hate to have to explain to her WHY a network like CBS allows players like Natalie, Chima, Lydia & Kevin to break rules continuously with no consequences, why Jesse & Natalie pray before their meals, Jeff & Russell speak about their religion while every single member of that house drops the F bomb in almost every other sentence. I'm no prude, and I've been known to use that word, myself, BUT it's not something I say just "because I can", and I would certainly hope I would be mature enough to realize I was being watched 24 hours a day & control myself. I don't mean to judge the people who call themselves Christians, because I, too, am a Christian. I think what is more disconcerting is when you hear players like Lydia, Natalie, Chima & Jesse profess to be so "holy" and say things like, "We're the good ones," and watch how much they judge, name call & behave. How do you explain that to anyone who might ask how that behavior can be considered "Christian", or even moral, at best? And then we have Natalie calling Michelle the Devil and posting on her blog about how she's been able to testify to Kevin and bring him closer to God??? It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

CBS isn't a small college network that could fall apart at any moment, and it makes me sick to my stomach that they allow these HGs to manipulate & blackmail them into giving them their way. After all, the HGs are SUPPOSED to be adults!!! And if they had to kick 4 out at a time, so be it. Bring the last 4 kicked out back in & go from there. Sometimes you have to do what's right, simply, because it's the right thing to do!!!

On the flip side, I don't know why I would think CBS would do the right thing when we just had a HUGE controversy over the President giving a speech to the youth of America about setting goals for themselves & the importance of an education. Our country has a huge portion of it's leaders & citizens who have no respect for the office of President of the US, and regardless of their political beliefs, can't get past their clouded judgement to, once again, see what is actually being said, and let it be done. And now we have this controversy of a Congressman calling the President a liar in the middle of his Address to Congress. Sure, he apologized... the next day, just to take it back and be supported by the right wing news/media/entertainers. Then, the left wing jumps in and starts a full on battle against the congressman and the entire right wing. What is wrong with our society? With this kind of mentality leading our country is it any wonder why we have "reality" shows and people in our daily lives who see no problem in lying, cheating & stealing to get ahead?

So, as the title of my post says, "What message are we sending?" Personally, I think it's a horrible message, and it's part of the reason why our country is in disaray. No one wants to accept responsibility for their actions, so they blame someone else. No one wants to work at getting ahead when they can get there by taking short cuts & screwing people over. Money, Money, Money!!! It's amazing the things some people will do for it, yet when it comes right down to it, no amount of money in the world will make you truly happy if you aren't right with yourself.

This BB house has sent the following messages: taking responsibility for your actions is not important, one should go to whatever means possible, even if it includes breaking laws/rules to get money b/c it's ok as long as you don't get caught or there are no consequences, working to get to the top isn't important & just like with money, you should do whatever it takes to get there, no matter who it hurts. And finally, ALWAYS take the easy way out, no matter what the consequence.

I don't know about anyone else, but it makes me sad to live in a world that works that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment