Saturday, May 2, 2009

QOTD



There’s no reason that the government should prevent homosexuals from entering civil marriages because some religions object to the concept, any more than the government should ban atheism because some religions object to it.
~ Lisa Pampuch, newspaper columnist


I can't sleep, as has been the norm for about the past week,so I logged onto the 'ol Crackberry & was looking around at quotes. I found the one above and thought it was great. I know A LOT of people won't like what I'm about to say next, but I think it's true, and I've never held my tongue before, so why start now?

One of the things I really like about this quote is that it shows the extreme hypocricy of a certain 'side'. 'They' want things to be one way for other people, yet, when it affects them, they want the rules changes. One of my favorite things to point out, or bring to people's attention is how the right wing, conservative party is always really quick to say, "The government has no right to tell me how many/what kinds of guns I can own & my money is none of their business, BUT they sure do want to tell a woman what she can do with her own body, and want to tell a huge group of our population that they can't be legally married. To me, there's NO DIFFERENCE. And if you want to tell me homosexuallity & abortion are sins, I have several questions for you?

1. Are you without sin?

2. Don't we have a separation of church & state in this country?

3. Since when is someone else's sins your business? Isn't that between he/she & God?


As you might be able to tell, I'm pretty passionate about this kind of stuff. If you feel like chiming in, feel free. You don't have to agree with me. Some of my best friends & I don't agree on big issues. You just have to be respectful, honest & open-minded to get along with me.



***As a 'qualifier, I just wanted to add that I am a heterosexual woman that would NEVER terminate a pregnancy for any reason other than, MAYBE, life or death, and then, I still don't know. I don't feel the way I do for personal gain & I don't believe abortion should be used as a form of birth control. I also believe that IF you really want to make a difference by protesting at abortion clinics, you should take these women in with love & compassion, try to understand them & help them instead of persecuting them, making them feel worse about their decision & spreading hate. Afterall, isn't that what Jesus would do?

And that's my 2 cents at 4:30am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment