Sunday, July 19, 2009

QOTD


I am sooooooo tired. Between trying to watch the Tour de France, finish the final plans for the baby shower, get things ready for when I have surgery & just take care of my general health, I am beat!!!! In addition to that, we had a dinner party last night, and the fresh halibut my dad caught a few weeks ago in Alaska did not sit well with me. It was so tasty, but even the smallest piece was no bueno minus a gallbladder.

With that, I'll share a couple of quotes I've heard in the past couple of days that have touched me.


To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
~ Leo Buscaglia

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try.
~ Beverly Sills

When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends.
~ Japanese proverb

If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford


You always pass failure on the way to success.
~ Mickey Rooney

The minute you feel like giving up think of all the reasons why you held on for so long; fall seven times… stand up eight.
~ Source Unknown

We should not feel embarrassed by our difficulties, only by our failure to grow anything beautiful from them.
~ Alain de botton


And, on the flip side.....


I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.
~ Booker T. Washington

Hating people is like burning down your own house to get rid of a rat.
~ Henry Emerson Fosdick

A Rattlesnake, if Cornered will become so angry it will bite itself. That is exactly what the harboring of hate and resentment against others is - a biting of oneself. We think we are harming others in holding these spites and hates, but the deeper harm is to ourselves.
~ E. Stanley Jones

Hate cages all the good things about you.
~ Madrianne Arvore

The price of hating other human beings is loving oneself less.
~ Eldridge Cleaver, Soul on Ice, 1968

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

We hate some persons because we do not know them; and will not know them because we hate them.
~ Charles Caleb Colton

You lose a lot of time, hating people.
~ Marian Anderson


And, one of my favorites, because I believe it is very true, as sad as it is....

I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.
~ James Baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment